Alva

Alva is a small town in Clackmannanshire, with a population of around 5000.
It is one of a number of towns situated immediately to the south of the Ochil Hills, collectively referred to as the Hillfoots.
It is located between Tillicoultry and Menstrie.

During the Industrial Revolution, Alva developed as a textile manufacturing centre, with the water-powered, woollen mills providing employment for locals and migrant workers to the area. The Mill Trail Centre is situated next to the Cochrane park and housed in the old Glentana Mill built in 1887.
It houses permanent exhibitions about the history of the old woollen industry and the experiences of the many people employed in the industry.
The Dalmore Works was built in 1874 for Wilson Brothers who produced textile products including tweed, woollen novelty fabrics and mohair and woollen rugs. The works were operated by Wilsons until 1964.

Family History Research for Prentice family of Alloa Clackmannanshire Scotland